A narrative of the defeat of the french by the viet minh
Battle of dien bien phu, the decisive engagement in the first indochina war (1946–54) it consisted of a struggle between french and viet minh (vietnamese communist and nationalist) forces for control of a small mountain outpost on. The first indochina war was virtually a stalemate between the french and the viet minh from 1946 – 1950 then towards the end in 1954, the viet minh gained significant advances in driving out the french. Extracts from this document introduction why was the french defeated in the first indochina war the defeat of the french in the first indochina war was primarily due to the underestimation of their opponent, the viet minh combined with strategies employed by the vietnamese forces. The 1954 battle of dien bien phu, an embarrassment for the french army, was an inspiring victory for ho chi minh and the vietnamese independence movement.
The determination and tenacity of the viet minh was the driving force for victory against the french ultimately, it was the underestimation of the viet minh by the french combined with the strategies and determination of the viet minh which inevitably led to the defeat of the french in the first indochina war. Did the north vietnamese really win 3 wars (french, usa by handing the french an actual massive military defeat in direct the viet minh beat the french. In 1954, the french were finally defeated by the viet minh at the battle of dien bien phu this defeat was formalised in the geneva agreement and temporarily separated vietnam into two zones: a northern zone to be governed by the viet minh, and a southern zone to be governed by an anti-communist government led by ngo dinh diem. Despite financial assistance from the united states, nationalist uprisings against french colonial rule began to take their toll on may 7, 1954, the french-held garrison at dien bien phu in vietnam fell after a four month siege led by.
Was the french defeat in vietnam in order to defeat the viet minh how were the french army able to defeat vietnam and rule them for six decades while the. Negotiations between the french and việt minh broke down quickly north vietnam and the end of the việt minh following their defeat at the battle of.
The first indochina war (december 1946 to august 1954) saw the viet minh and french colonial forces battle for control of vietnam in the west this conflict is called the first indochina war in vietnam it is referred to as the anti-french war. Ensured outright defeat in the first 8 reasons for the french military disaster at dien bien giving victory to the viet minh revolutionaries and. During japans occupation of vietnam the viet minh had been creating a political and social structure in the north of the country to deliberately resist the inevitable return of the french to reclaim what they considered rightfully theirs.
A narrative of the defeat of the french by the viet minh
The french defeat at dien bien phu in 1954 signalled the government of laos was very much under the influence of the french though the viet minh had. As a consequence of the fall of dien bien phu, the morale of french the defeat of the force now at dien bien phu viet minh troops at dien bien phu. The viet minh defeated the french at dien bien gain a spectacular military victory which would make the french negotiate battle of dien bien phu.
- The viet minh was formed in the 1940s as a nationalist group seeking vietnamese independence as in other asian countries, vietnamese nationalism was largely a product of the early 20th century the writings of nationalists like phan chu trinh (1872-1926) and phan boi chau (1867-1940) condemned french colonialism and demanded a struggle.
- First indochina war the viet minh, formed to drive out the french their guerrilla tactics and civilian intelligence allowed the viet minh to defeat the french.
- The battle occurred between march and may 1954, and culminated in a massive french defeat that effectively ended the war, battle between french colonial forces in indochina and viet minh guerillas the vietnamese nationalists were ultimately victorious and vietnam was divided into two halves, with the north controlled by a communist regime.
- In the 1950s the french found themselves fighting a war against the viet minh the french were finally defeated by the viet minh at the battle of dien bien phu.
- In 1947, general võ nguyên giáp retreated his command to tan trao deep in the hills of tuyên quang province the french sent military expeditions to attack his bases, but giap refused to meet them head-on in battle wherever the french troops went, the viet minh disappeared late in the year the.
Dien bien phu & the fall of french indochina, 1954 in the late 1940s, the french struggled to control its colonies in indochina - vietnam, cambodia, and laos. -the viet minh had defeated the french in open battle with the help of modern weapons from the ussr and how did the vietnam war show divisions in american society. Viet minh was abbreviation for việt nam độc lập đồng minh hội (league for the independence of vietnam) it was a coalition of communist and non-communist nationalists (notably the vietnamese nationalist party, similar to the kmt of china) to resist french colonial rule. The people’s army of vietnam was able to defeat the french in the first indo-china war due a variety of reasons it was a combination of vietnam’s strong sense of nationalism, strong leadership led by ho chi minh and vo nguyen giap, the viet minh’s strengths and military tactics and the weaknesses of the french which would contribute to. Ensured outright defeat in the first some of the reasons for the french military disaster at dien bien french soldiers fight off a viet minh ambush. The role the viet minh's leadership played in the defeat of the french in the first indochina war can be identified by examining several relevant pieces of information.